Breathwork refers to any type of breathing exercises or techniques. People often perform them to improve mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. During breathwork you intentionally change your breathing pattern.
There are many forms of breathwork therapy that involve breathing in a conscious and systematic way. Many people find breathwork promotes deep relaxation or leaves them feeling energized.
People practice breathwork for a variety of reasons. Overall, it’s thought to bring about improvements in emotional state and decrease stress levels in otherwise healthy people.
People have practiced breathwork to:
- aid positive self-development
- boost immunity
- process emotions, heal emotional pain and trauma
- develop life skills
- develop or increase self awareness
- enrich creativity
- improve personal and professional relationships
- increase confidence, self-image, and self esteem
- increase joy and happiness
- overcome addictions
- reduce stress and anxiety levels
- release negative thoughts
Breathwork is used to help to improve a wide range of issues including:
- anger issues
- chronic pain
- emotional effects of illness
- trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Interested in giving breathwork a try? FITDC offers free breathwork courses in partnership with SKY Breath Meditation every Tuesday and Wednesday evening, as well as monthly three day courses to help you refine and practice your new skills. Check out all the info here.